What is the Fit Family Challenge?
The Fit Family Challenge is a statewide healthy family lifestyle program which will run from May 15 - July 10, 2014. We're motivating families to get moving and create healthier lifestyles. To participate, families will register online and track activities for a chance to earn points and win prizes. The Fit Family Challenge is in partnership with Coca-Cola.
How much does it cost?
It's FREE. There is no cost for Registration for the online Fit Family Challenge Activity Tracker.
Is it too late to join the Challenge?
No, it is never too late to get started. The last day to earn points online is July 10, 2014.
How do you define family?
A family is at least one child under age 18 and one adult in the same household, including grandparents caring for children. Participants under 18 years old must be included in a 'family' registration account with at least one adult participant.
How do we qualify for prizes?
To qualify for prizes you must be registered! Registration will begin in April 2014. Check back for more information.To qualify for the Grand Prize drawing, you must also earn at least 100 points by logging your activities in our online Activity Tracker. The more you participate and track your activities online, the more chances you have to win. An additional entry in the drawing is contributed for every 100 points earned. (i.e. the Jones Family earned 325 points = 3 Jones' family entries in Grand Prize drawing.)
What can we win?
Weekly prizes from Lowcountry Parent will include a Fitbit Zip, 1st-base tickets to the June 8 RiverDogs game, a Charleston County Parks Gold Pass, a 60-minute massage from Urban Nirvana, and Ipad Mini, a $100 gift certificate to Dick's Sporting Goods, a South Carolina Aquarium Family Package – 2 Adult Tickets and 2 Child Tickets and a $100 gift certificate to Whole Foods.
The Grand Prize will be a family vacation to two theme parks at Universal OrlandoŽ Resort!
How do I track my activities?
Register online and begin entering your activities in our Activity Tracker. Each time you log an activity, you earn points towards the grand prize drawing.
Once registered, how do I earn points?
It's easy to earn points! Log into your account. Do any or all of these activities and mark them completed online:
1) Exercise or get active
2) Practice healthy habits
3) Attend special events and fitness or wellness classes
Families are considered one unit. Family points are combined and entries are added for each 100 points earned as a family, or individual, to the Grand Prize drawing in June.
How can my children participate in the fun?
Parents can download a Kids Activity Tracker, so young children can get in on the fun. Post it on your fridge and let them fill it out each week, then post the healthy habits in your family account for more points. Kids can attend some events, too! (Age restrictions may apply.)
If we win a weekly or monthly prize, are we still eligible for the grand prize?
Yes! Weekly and monthly prize winners are still eligible for the grand prize drawing if they qualified. (To qualify families must earn at least 100 points. )
Do I have to attend Fitness Classes to win?
No. But we encourage your family to attend as many fitness classes and special events as possible. Each event or class attended earns you 100 points. Note: You must receive an event code and enter it into the system with the event name to receive the bonus points.
Which special events and fitness classes are eligible for bonus points?
Here is a sampling of the bonus point activities:
- Family-friendly "Work and Learn" session at MUSC Urban Farm: 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., Saturday, May 17. Located at the corner of Bee & President streets. Click here for details.
- Fleet Feet Sports Group Run: Mondays at 6:30 p.m. from the Mount Pleasant store, 881 Houston Northcutt Blvd. Details here.
- Free volleyball and basketball at the Colleton County Recreation Center: 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. May 17 and May 25.
- Two consecutive weeks of free visits to Walterboro Curves during the challenge period (May 15-July 10). Call 782-3800 for details.
- Six free visits to Walterboro FitLife during the challenge period (May 15-July 10). Call 782-2750 for details.
- National Trails Day Hike at Awendaw Passage, June 7. Details here.
- Free volleyball and basketball at the Colleton County Recreation Center: 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. June 7, 14, 21, 28
- Moultrie News 50th Anniversary Celebration at Boone Hall, 5 p.m. June 8. Details here.
- Family-friendly "Work and Learn" session at MUSC Urban Farm: 9 a.m. to 11 a.m, Saturday, June 21.
- Two consecutive weeks of free visits to Walterboro Curves during challenge period (May 15-July 10). Call 782-3800 for details.
- Six free visits to Walterboro FitLife during challenge period (May 15-July 10). Call 782-2750 for details.
- Fleet Feet Sports Group Run: Mondays at 6:30 p.m. from the Mount Pleasant store, 881 Houston Northcutt Blvd.
How do we maintain our healthy lifestyle after the Fit Family Challenge?
The Fit Family Challenge will teach you a lot about fitness and good nutrition. You can keep it up throughout the year.
We're confident that if you follow the challenge and get active for at least one month, you'll be on your way to adopting a healthier lifestyle for your child(ren), yourself and your entire family!
Stay tuned for more great information as we get closer to the preregistration date and the Fit Family Challenge!